Wednesday, February 17, 2016
I am really loving living in casserole land. Okay, I'd rather be in my oven-handicapped land, but YUM! CASSEROLES! We've run this through the dinner schedule a few times already, and love on it.
Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
5 large potatoes, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch slices (I've used both russet and/or yukon gold)
1 small onion, sliced into rings
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb cubed ham
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
2) Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, set aside.
3) Place a layer of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
4) Alternate layers of onion mixture, ham, then potatoes. Continue to layer until ingredients gone.
5) In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in salt & pepper, thyme and sage. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
6) Pour cheese mix over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
7) Bake ~60 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove foil last 5 minutes of cooking.