Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Because when you have livestock you have dead stock…

After just a few years in poultry, I’d gotten pretty good at numbing myself to losing birds.  It happens.   We’ve lost chicks, chickens, guineas, and a turkey.  It happens. It’s a monetary hit, but since 2008, I don’t think there has been anything in our lives that hasn’t been a monetary hit, so I’m kind of numb to that too…

I just wonder how long it’s going to take me to get used to it when we have larger livestock.  With fur.  Goats, cows, God forbid a horse.  Don’t know if I could ever deal with losing a horse.  It’s not so much the butchering that will bother me, it’s more the random illness, or predation, and the sense of not being able to control if something bad happens to my animals. 

Just a bit of deep thinking this evening.  Oh yeah, rest in peace, no-name reddish chicken.  I’ll miss your delicious eggs.


image

No comments:

Post a Comment